AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I have been racking my brain trying to come up with ways that I can show the boyfriend that I am head over heels in love with him, without buying into the consumerist side of the holiday. We both agreed that we would make each other gifts for our first Valentine’s Day together this year, and you know that I excel in the DIY area of gifting, so he’s going to get a great Hippy surprise!
I want to create a romantic atmosphere
Not only am I planning on making us a delicious romantic meal for two (minus the mushrooms because he has a weird dislike of them…it’s his only fault lol!) but I want to make the atmosphere super romantic, and how better to do that than with essential oils? There are so many romantic uses for essential oils, including in your diffuser, a massage oil, a candle (I’ve made a wonderful massage candle in the past!), a perfume roll-on, and even a romantic bubble bath! (See below for instructions on how to use the essential oil blends safely for each of these romantic uses.)
Essential oils to get you in the mood
There are quite a few essential oils that have aphrodisiac properties. You can blend these with other sweet ones that you love, such as lavender, geranium, and all of the citrus oils (lime, sweet orange, grapefruit, and bergamot).
- Allspice (Pimenta officinalis)
- Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Cedarwood, Atlas (Cedrus atlantica)
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum cinnamon bark is best for diffusion and cinnamon leaf is better for topical application)
- Clary sage (Salvia sclarea)
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
- Davana (Artemisia pallens)
- Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum)
- Mace (Myristica fragans)
- Neroli (Citrus aurantium)
- Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)
- Rose (Rosa damascena both the absolute and the essential oil)
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum)
- Savory, winter (Satureja montana)
- Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia)
- Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)
Not in the mood for a DIY?
Plant Therapy has you covered this Valentine’s Day with their Be My Valentine Set! Perfect for creating a special, intimate atmosphere for you and your lover, this set was specially curated with romance in mind! I love the heady scent combination of floral and woods! The boyfriend and I put a few drops of the essential oil blend in the diffuser and then we traded the most heavenly massages using the Sensual Synergy Oil diluted with the Marvelous Massage Carrier Oil. We were both very impressed with how well the oil provided slip without all the greasiness. It left our skin feeling fantastic afterward too! This Be My Valentine Set includes:
5 Sensual DIY Essential Oil Blends
for Valentine’s Day
These romantic essential oil blends can easily be added to and blended into these empty 1/3 oz (10 ml) glass essential oil bottles. Don’t forget to label them!
MAKES 7.5 ml (1/4 oz)
- 25 drops MRH rose essential oil or PT rose absolute
- 75 drops MRH sweet orange essential oil or PT sweet orange eo
- 50 drops MRH lavender essential oil or PT lavender eo
- 75 drops MRH bergamot essential oil or PT bergamot eo
- 50 drops MRH coriander essential oil or PT coriander eo
- 25 drops MRH sandalwood essential oil or PT sandalwood eo
- 100 drops MRH lemon essential oil or PT lemon eo
- 25 drops MRH vanilla absolute or PT vanilla absolute
- 25 drops MRH German chamomile essential oil or PT German chamomile eo
- 15 drops MRH ylang ylang essential oil or PT ylang ylang eo
- 100 drops MRH sweet orange essential oil or PT sweet orange eo
- 35 drops MRH vanilla absolute or PT vanilla absolute
Head Over Heels
- 35 drops MRH coriander essential oil or PT coriander eo
- 15 drops MRH jasmine absolute or PT jasmine absolute
- 100 drops MRH grapefruit essential oil or PT grapefruit eo
How to use your romantic essential oil blends
There are tons of ways that these undiluted romantic essential oil blends can be used! The sky’s the limit! These are just some of my favorite ways you can step up the romance game with essential oils this year!
All of these essential oil blends are fantastic in the diffuser! The easiest method of cleansing the air and scenting a room with romance, simply add 6-8 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice to your diffuser and diffuse throughout the room!
A massage can be a very intimate way to get closer to your significant other, and it feels amazing too! It’s so easy to create your own sensual massage oil, simply add 9 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice to 2 tsp. carrier oil (you can either try Plant Therapy’s Marvelous Massage Oil carrier blend or you can try using an oil you have around your house such as unrefined coconut oil, avocado oil, or sweet almond oil.). Use topically in a circular motion over the affected areas; warm up to create a soothing massage.
Candles are a great way to set the lighting along with the scentual mood! I love making candles because they are super easy to make and everyone loves a good candle to decorate their homes! You can make simple candles by substituting 60 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice in this easy candle recipe OR you can substitute 45 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice in my favorite sensual soy massage candle recipe.
Perfume can be such a subtle sensual addition to your beauty routine. I love rolling on a good DIY perfume just before The Boyfriend comes over, and I get a happy little smile on my face when he comments how delightful I smell! I love it, even more, when he tells me I left my amazing smell behind in his apartment and it’s reminding him of me! It’s the little things, guys! You can easily make a luscious perfume roll-on, simply add 15 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice to a 10 ml glass roll-on bottle then fill with grapeseed oil and top with the roller ball and lid! While fractionated coconut oil can also be used for this recipe, I much prefer grapeseed oil when it comes to perfumes because it has no underlying scent and the added scent tends to stick around for longer!
Romantic Bubble Bath
Who doesn’t love a romantic bubble bath for two? If I had a bathtub big enough to fit two, I would likely have more romantic bubble baths! It’s really easy to make your own romantic bubble heaven! Simply add 9 drops of the romantic essential oil blend of your choice to 1 ounce of unscented bubble bath and stir until completely mixed! Add bubble bath under running hot water and enjoy a luxuriously scented treat for two!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.