Before going “hippy”, I used to use the Garnier Fructise beach waves spray on my naturally wavy hair. It did a fairly decent job at curling my hair the way that I wanted it to, but alas it is laden with all of those nasty cancer causing chemicals that they ban in Europe. This meant that I needed to find myself an easy go to recipe to make my own.
During the summertime my favorite scent is coconut lime. Every year I associate that scent with warm days in my bikini and water to splash around in. If there was one scent that I could imagine a beach waves spray smelling like, it is coconut lime! Since I already knew I was going to put coconut oil in this spray (the conditioning that it does to hair is AMAZING!!!) I immediately thought to get lime essential oil and throw a few drops into my concoction. This spray works just fine if you make it without the essential oil.
I looked at quite a few recipes online, but the one that I found most helpful was Wellness Mama’s DIY Beach Waves Spray. I modeled my recipe after hers.
Salt sprays tend to be drying to the hair so I chose to use Epsom salt in this spray because it is much less drying to the hair than Sea salt is. I also added coconut oil to this recipe to help moisturize the hair some more. I use coconut oil as a deep conditioner on my hair all the time so I figured I couldn’t possibly go wrong by adding it to my spray.
If you would like to lighten your hair you can always add chamomile tea instead of water to this recipe (but keep it in the fridge if you do!). You can also add black tea for those wanting a darker look!
Coconut Lime Beach Waves Spray
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp. Epsom salt
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. conditioner (I used Dr. Bronner’s Lavender and Coconut Hair Conditioner and Styling Creme)
- 4-6 drops lime essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients and stir until the coconut oil has melted and mixed in.
- Pour into an empty spray bottle and spray generously on your wet/damp hair, scrunching it a big as you spray.
- If it is winter time or cold in your house and you find your spray has a hard coconut oil layer on top, just bring it into the shower with you or run it under warm/hot water and the coconut oil will melt right back in. Shake well before use!