After I made the Coconut Lime Ocean Waves Hair Spray, the Hippy Husband practically begged me to come up with an all natural styling pomade that he could use on his rockin’ awesome mo-hawk. I heard from my Facebook readers that they would definitely love for me to make a pomade. With that, I whipped up what I thought would be the most amazing hair pomade ever…but it turned out more like a hard lotion bar. Hmmmm…what was I doing wrong?
It didn’t take too much time before I realized that I needed to change my ratios of wax/oil and to whip it with my electric hand mixer, once it set. That was the trick that did it! The end result was just like the pomade that I had once paid $10+ dollars for.
The Hippy Husband tried this out on his hair and said it worked perfectly! It lasted all day long and had just the kind of hold he was looking for. I chose not to add any essential oils to this recipe, just because the coconut oil and the beeswax have a nice light scent when combined. If you would like to add some scent to this, you could add 10 drops of rosemary or lavender. Both essential oils help to stimulate hair growth and are great for use in hair products.
Rockin’ Awesome Hair Styling Pomade
- 4 Tbsp. beeswax
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp. jojoba oil (you can use almost any other carrier oil here, such as olive, almond, apricot kernel, or even vegetable glycerin.)
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder or non-gmo corn starch (optional, takes some of the grease out from the oils. If you like a little bit of glossy shine then don’t worry about this option, I left this out and the Hippy Husband loves it.)
- 2 vitamin E pills (optional)
- In a double boiler, (I usually use a pyrex bowl in a sauce pan of boiling water as my makeshift double boiler) melt the beeswax, stirring every so often.
- When the beeswax is melted, add the coconut oil and stir until melted completely.
- Remove from heat, and let wax/coconut oil mixture cool a bit before adding arrowroot/jojoba.
- Mix together arrowroot powder and jojoba oil and pour into cooled mixture. If using Vitamin E to lengthen the shelf life of the pomade, poke the vitamin E pills squeezing the contents into the bowl and let cool until hardened.
- Using your hand mixer, blend the hair pomade until all of the little hard chunks are whipped thoroughly.
- Scoop into air tight containers and store in a cool dark place.
- Use only a small pea sized amount on hair. A little goes a long way!
What other hair products do you want me to hippify?