Welcome to the Festival of Food Carnival. In celebration of the New Year and Healthy Starts, we’re sharing recipe ideas for healthy, nourishing recipes or anything you would enjoy this time of year. Hosted by Diary of a First Child and Hybrid Rasta Mama, you’re welcome to join us next time, or if you have a previously published recipe you’d like to share, add it to the linky below.
I am a HUGE fan of barley. When I was a kid, I always remember my favorite part of Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup, was the barley that was in it. My mom never cooked with barley, so for me it was like a rare treat when I ate it in the soup. Nowadays, I wouldn’t be caught dead eating a bowl of Campbell’s soup (my own homemade versions are ALWAYS better), but I love barley so much, I am always trying to invent new ways to cook with it. That is how this super-easy-to-make-salad was born. I re-invented my black bean salad and made it into this low-fat delicious salad that will have you coming back for more. The Hippy Husband and I ended up going through a batch of this in less than 24-hours, because it was THAT good.
In addition to dietary fiber, a cup of barley will give you more than 50 percent of your daily intake for selenium. You’ll also get tryptophan, copper, phosphorus and manganese just to name a few. The dietary fiber will also help maintain your blood sugar levels, so it can help to lower your chances of getting type 2 diabetes.
Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Sarah at Why Food Works shares Guilt Free Ranch Dip. Food is more fun when dunked, and kids eat more veggies with dip – use this high-protein, low-fat, Ranch-flavored spread at picnics, parties, and meals! You can also find Sarah on Facebook.
- Christina at The Hippy Homemaker shares her tasty vegan Black Bean and Barley Salad With a Cilantro Lime Dressing, a low-fat meal that packs a real flavor punch! You can also find Christine on Facebook.
- Bianca at the Pierogie Mama shares a quick and simple recipe for roasting cauliflower. Garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese make anything taste amazing!You can also find Bianca on Facebook.
- Have a blender? Then That Mama Gretchen says it’s time to gather your veggies and plan a Mexican fiesta to debut this skinny version of taco soup. You can also find That Mama Gretchen on Facebook.
- Lindy at Poppy Soap Co. shared an incredibly easy Herb Rice recipe that makes a great pantry staple! You can also find Lindy on Facebook.
- Luschka at Diary of a First Child loves foraging for her food, and this Nettle Soup recipe is a great immune boost for the changing season. You can also fine Luschka on Facebook.
- Mari at Honey on the Bum shares her love of beet kvass, a daily drink that holds particular importance in the winter.
- Destany and They Are All of Me shares her recipe for low-fat healthy smoothies that taste just like dessert.
- Lauren at Hobo Mama offers a nut-buttery, chocolatey treat that tastes indulgent while being grain- and sugar-free. You can also find Hobo Mama on Facebook.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares a super easy, fix it and freeze it Curried Lentil Soup In A Jar! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to “Like” the Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.