AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Throughout the year, it seems like the one problem my dog has, is to constantly scratch his itches ALL day long. I have tried many different sprays from local pet stores but they cost me an arm and a leg, and most of them were only sub-par and smelling of skin irritating ingredients. I am also very leery or buying products from any of the companies that sell aromatherapy products for pets because many of them say they are for use on dogs AND cats. It is not safe to use essential oils on any cats because they do not metabolize toxins the same way that humans and dogs do.
Certain herbs and essential oils can heal your dogs too!
When you are trying to heal many problems that arise for your hippy housepets (your cute pooches in this case), you can use many different healing herbs and essential oils just like you do with your human first aid kit! Dogs are extremely receptive to aromatherapy and herbalism, as long as you remember that they are smaller and built with much stronger noses.
When using essential oils or herbal remedies, it's important to use much smaller doses and less essential oils. All of my sprays in my shoppe are dosed appropriately for dogs noses and body sizes. To the human nose, the scent may be less fragrant, but to the dog's nose, it can be extremely fragrant. I usually like to think of dog dosing in the same sense as babies and toddlers. The doses are usually close to the same.
Healing from the inside out is the first step to better health
Many American dogs find themselves with so many diseases and ailments because of their poor inner health. A large portion of the dog foods sold in grocery and pet stores contain all kinds of nasty fillers, GMO's, byproducts, corn, and toxic chemicals. Couple that with the lack of proper vitamins and minerals and exercise and just like humans, you end up seeing an immune system that can't keep up. In many cases, a change in diet and lifestyle is all that is needed to clear up a whole host of problems.
Hot spots, also known as moist eczema…
Hot spot can become irritated because of highly moist environments. To speed healing and dry out the moisture, it is best to shave or cut the hair around the hot spots. It's also advised to prevent your dog from licking or biting the infected areas. This may mean that you will need to get the “dunce” cone (as I like to call it since it seems to make my dog dumber) out, just to keep your dog from getting at their sores. After I comb this spray through and pat my dog dry, I like to apply some of my Fido's Boo-Boo Balm on the worst spots on my dog.
DIY Healing Hot Spot & Anti-Itch Spray For Dogs
- 4 Tbsp. witch hazel
- 2 Tbsp. aloe vera gel
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable glycerin
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seed oil (you can substitute coconut oil here if you like, it is also extremely great at healing hot spots and itchy problems because of it's antibacterial/antiviral/analgesic properties, but in the winter you will have to run your bottle under warm water until the coconut oil melts, which is why I suggest my other favorite ultra healing carrier oil here.)
- 1 tsp. colloidal silver (optional – this is used by many vets to help with rashes and other irritations, it's a natural antibiotic, and can be found in your local health foods store or on Amazon)
- 2 drops MRH geranium essential oil or PT geranium eo
- 6 drops MRH lavender essential oil or PT lavender eo
- 6 drops MRH Virginia cedarwood essential oil or PT Virginia cedarwood eo
- filtered water to fill the spray bottle (if you want to get really creative you can use tea or a hydrosol here as well, but this may change the shelf life of the spray if you use tea. Store in the fridge for a longer shelf life)
- Combine ingredients in an 8 oz. spray bottle.
- Spray directly onto raw irritated hot spots. Repeat 1-4x daily as needed. If your dog suffers from flea allergies, spray entire body daily as needed. Do not spray on your dogs face or near their eyes.
Don't feel like another DIY project (or don't have the time)? You can purchase this Hot Spot & Anti-Itch Spray For Dogs, in my Etsy Shoppe! I have many other Hippy Housepets products to choose from as well! By shopping in my store you are supporting an eco-friendly home based small business. I personally handcraft every single item that leaves my shoppe!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.