AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
My goal this winter is to keep my family free of sickness. Honestly, I know just how epic that kind of statement is, and that I have slim chances of accomplishing this goal 100%, but I am serious about trying everything that I can, to keep my family healthy and happy all the way through the winter. To do this, I am going to have to battle with my best foot forward. My secret weapon this year is my DIY “Thieves” oil alternative! This stuff is so amazing, i just couldn’t wait to tell you guys about it! The story that goes along with it, is even more amazing.
Strong enough to kill the plague while robbing dead bodies
Thieves oil is an essential oil blend based on a story from around the 15th century when the bubonic plague was running rampant through Europe and Asia. Four thieves from Europe, who were notoriously robbing the infectious dead bodies of all their possessions, miraculously never contracted the highly infectious plague. This led to a deeper inquiry in court after they were caught and charged. The magistrate offered them a deal, their secret for a reduced sentence. Taking the deal, they told stories of their herbal knowledge and their powerful medicinal properties when combined in certain ways. This specific herbal blend that they had created, concocted from aromatic herbs, was HIGHLY EFFECTIVE in killing all of the airborne bacteria. Some of the stories told, speak of it in a vinegar form, while others talk about a blend that was in a mask over their faces. In 1997, Weber State University did a study that found the Thieves essential oil blend to have a 99.96% success rate at killing airborne bacteria. We don’t know whether or not this “thieves” story is true, but the essential oils are truly antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-infectious. They will stimulate the immune system, circulation, and respiratory system, and help protect against the flu, colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, cuts, and more.
“Research conducted at Weber State University, as well as other documented research, indicates that most viruses, fungi, and bacteria cannot live in the presence of many essential oils, especially those high in phenols, carcacrol, thymol, and terpenes. This, perhaps, offers a modern explanation why the Old Testament prophet Moses used aromatic substances to protect the Isrealites from the plagues that decimated ancient Egypt. It may also help us understand why a notorious group of theives, reputed to be spice traders and perfumers, was protected from the Black Plague as they robbed the bodies of the dead during the 15th century.” (Essential Oils Desk Reference, 4th Edition, p6)
Diffuse this throughout your home to kill germs when company comes over
You can diffuse this oil around your house to try and kill off and prevent any future illnesses whenever anyone new comes into your home, or your family brings it in with them. This essential oil blend can be used for all of the same uses that your friend’s Thieves oil and/or OnGuard blends do, but for a far cheaper price! You get way more oil for your money and still the same great antibacterial and antiviral properties!
DIY Medicine Woman Anti-Germ Essential Oil Blend
I love this blend, especially during the cold and flu season, i.e. year around! This blend can be used in a plethora of applications and is fantastic at killing germs and boosting immunities when everyone else around you is getting sick! I usually diffuse before and after having guests come over! It’s especially delightful in the wintertime because of its spicy scent! I like to add lavender and frankincense to my anti-germ blend because they are both highly antiviral and antibacterial but also very helpful during any cold or flu too! Plus, you can’t beat the smell when combined!
- 40 drops MRH Cinnamon leaf essential oil or PT Cinnamon leaf eo
- 35 drops MRH Lavender essential oil or PT Lavender eo
- 25 drops MRH Eucalyptus essential oil or PT Eucalyptus eo
- 20 drops MRH Lemon essential oil or PT Lemon eo
- 20 drops MRH Frankincense essential oil or PT Frankincense eo
- 15 drops MRH Clove bud essential oil or PT Clove bud eo
- 10 drops MRH Rosemary essential oil or PT Rosemary eo
- Combine essential oils in a 15 ml amber glass bottle. Swirl the bottle gently to mix. Label and store in a cool dark place with your other essential oils, when not using!
SAFETY – THIS BLEND IS NOT SAFE FOR USE TOPICALLY OR FOR DIFFUSION ON SMALL CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 10 DUE TO THE EUCALYPTUS AND ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OILS. If you would like a child-friendly version, you can make my Medicine Woman Jr. essential oil blend! You can use this blend when your child is not in the room. You can diffuse and clean with it when they are in a different part of the house or not at home!
How to use the Medicine Woman essential oil blend
- Aromatherapy Inhaler – Aromatherapy Inhalers are perfect to keep on hand in your back pocket or purse, for whenever the need to take a whiff arises! The best part is you’re the only one who smells your personal inhaler, so the essential oils used will not offend anyone around you! To use, place 25-30 drops of the essential oil blend into a small glass bowl. Add the cotton pad to the bowl and roll it around (using tweezers, not bare fingers) until it’s soaked up all the essential oils. Using tweezers, remove pad and place in inhaler tube. After closing the inhaler tube, be sure to label it so that you don’t forget which blend it is! You can pull the inhaler out and take a few deep whiffs whenever you are are wanting congestion relief or to give your immune system an extra boost of help!
- Diffuser – This is one of my preferred methods of use for this blend! It works really well in the diffuser in your bedroom, living room, bathroom, and even kitchen! Using the recommended amount of drops for your diffuser, diffuse this blend throughout the house.
- Shower Steamers – This is a really great method to use when you are sick already and needing congestion relief. This can be very relieving and make you feel a billion times better when you are sick!
- Diluted in a Roll-On Bottle – Most of the time, I like to keep roll-ons on hand to use topically. I add the essential oils with a carrier oil (my favorite carrier oil for roll-ons is usually fractionated coconut oil) to a roll on bottle and then massage this onto the bottoms of the feet as well as the chest and the back of the neck. You can also use these like the aromatherapy inhalers and just open them up to take a whiff as well! For children 2 – 5 years combine 1 Tbsp. carrier oil with 4 drops essential oil blend. For adults & children 6+ years combine 1 Tbsp. carrier oil with 8 drops essential oil blend.
- Cleaning supplies – You can put this in your own homemade cleaning supplies.
- Salve/Balm – Having a salve by the bed to rub on your back, chest, and bottoms of your feet can truly make the difference in how you feel and how fast you get better when sick with a cold or the flu! There were some bugs that I would wake up racked with coughs that wouldn’t stop until I rubbed my Medicine Woman salve onto my chest and went back to bed.
- Room & Fabric Spray – I truly want to breathe happier, so I choose NOT to use Febreeze products because of the bronchial irritants that they contain. Instead, I like to create my own Room & Fabric Sprays using this essential oil blend! It freshens the air, makes everything smell great, and kills germs all at the same time!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.