AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Let’s be honest here. Chocolate is amazing. I could sit and eat chocolates until every last one is gone and everyone is wondering who ate all the chocolates. I never realized how easy it is to make my own chocolates until I found a really simple recipe in one of my mom’s chocolate cookbooks. I took that recipe and reworked it with healthier ingredients and lo and behold Hippy chocolates were created!
Skip the unhealthy ingredients this year
With Valentine's Day just around the corner, chocolates are flying off the grocery shelves, but this year you could do something different for your love and make them a batch of homemade chocolates without all the icky ingredients! I'm talking artificial flavors, colors, GMO's, and high fructose corn syrup.
It's as easy as adding your favorite ingredients
After making these healthy simple chocolates, my mind began to think of the millions of different ingredients I could add to these chocolates such as herbal extracts, dried herbs, fruits, and nuts. I decided to add cayenne pepper and coconut flakes to my second batch (mmmmmm, chocolate and coconut are my favs!) and my new love of homemade chocolate was born!
Adding a nutrition boost to your sweet treats
Whoever said you can't have your cake and eat it too, was lying to you! I am a big fan of boosting my healthy sweet treats with extra nutrition and it's super easy to do that with MegaFood's Nutrient Booster Powders™! MegaFood's Nutrient Booster Powders increase your capacity with stimulant-free select FoodState Nutrients™, including new beetroot powder plus botanicals to promote energy levels and maintain healthy blood sugar levels*. I like to add them to my morning smoothies, my protein shakes, ice cream, and even my favorite desserts! Now, you can have your cake and eat it too!
Homemade Chocolate Base Recipe
- 1 cup fair trade organic cocoa butter (you can substitute with unrefined coconut oil but the chocolates should definitely be housed in the fridge if you choose to use coconut oil, otherwise they will likely melt at temperatures higher than 75 degrees)
- 1 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- ½ – ¾ cup raw unfiltered honey or maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or another extract per flavor guidelines)
- pinch of sea salt
- In a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Using a whisk, whisk in the honey/maple syrup while VERY slowly pouring it into the melted cocoa butter (This helps to emulsify oil and water. Honey/maple syrup are water-based ingredients while the cocoa butter and coconut oil are oil-based ingredients. It’s like making mayonnaise! If your cocoa butter is too hot and you pour the honey in too fast, it will separate with the honey sinking to the bottom).
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients (including extras if you are using them) and whisk until a pudding consistency is reached, maybe a minute or two max. Be sure to get absolutely no water in the chocolate as this will make the chocolate have a mealy texture.
- Spoon chocolate into molds (you can choose all sorts of molds including small hearts or chocolate bar molds!).
- Put your chocolates in the fridge or freezer to harden up over a few hours, before releasing from the molds and totally devouring!
Chocolate Flavor Variations
You can make a whole box of assorted flavored chocolates if you have all of the ingredients on hand. Extracts/tinctures can be a helpful addition to flavor the chocolates.
NOTE: Replace the vanilla extract in the base recipe with whatever extracts are called for below.
PURIFYING MAYAN SPICE CHOCOLATE
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1-2 scoops MegaFood Daily Purify Nutrient Booster Powder™
GOOD MORNING PEPPERMINT PATTY
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 scoops MegaFood Daily Energy Nutrient Booster Powder™
CINNAMON SPICE & EVERYTHING NICE
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger root powder
- 1-2 scoops MegaFood Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™
C-BOOSTING ORANGES & CLOVE
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1-2 scoops MegaFood Daily C-Protect Nutrient Booster Powder™
IMMUNE SUPPORTING CHOCOLATE BLUEBERRY
- 2 Tbsp. dried blueberries, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon blueberry extract
- 1-2 scoops MegaFood Kids Daily Immune Nutrient Booster Powder™
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure disease.
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.