AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
I first heard about the benefits of kombucha after I saw a bottle at Whole Foods. Even though it was practically $5 for one bottle, I was really curious what all this hype was, and I really wanted to know what it tasted like. The bottle that we picked up was fizzy and flavored with tropical fruits. Syfy was ALL about it and even thought that it was soda (being that he’s only seen commercials for soda, he had no idea that this delicious bubbly beverage was actually good for him instead)! It was easy to see why the world is fascinated with this beverage, with such a long history and many healing benefits.
What is kombucha?
Kombucha is a living health drink that has been brewed for thousands of years to boost the immune system and stimulate metabolism. The Kombucha culture looks like a white rubbery pancake. This “mushroom” culture is often called a “SCOBY” which in an acronym for ‘ symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts.’ The scoby is placed in sweetened black or green tea (or even a combination of the two) and it turns the tea into a sea of health giving organic acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and nutrients. The scoby feeds on the sugar and, in turn, produces other valuable substances such as: glucuronic acid, glucon acid, lactic acid, vitamins, and amino acids. The finished product is a delicious fizzy soda-like beverage that also happens to give your body all kinds of healing benefits, and based on the changes you make to your recipe, you can even boost certain healing properties that you are looking for, such as weight loss and immunities.
Kombucha has been sipped for health for thousands of years
The first recorded use of kombucha was in 221 B.C. during the Chinese empire of the Tsin-Dynasty. It was called “The remedy for immortality” or the “divine tische”, and was used for many different healing benefits. Later, in 414 AD it was brought from Korea to Japan, by a doctor brought in to heal the Japanese Emperor. After this, the many benefits were hailed far and wide going to Russia, India, Europe, and finally to the rest of the world. Today its many health benefits are being realized by many and shared across the globe.
Top 10 benefits of drinking kombucha
- Kombucha improves digestion – it provides a plethora of healthy digestive flora that are alkalizing to the body.
- Kombucha helps you lose weight – a healthy gut means that your body can properly take in and evacuate excess weight.
- Reduces your stress levels – being made with tea, which contains the constituent theanine, which promotes alpha wave production in the brain as well as increases serotonin levels.
- Kombucha gives you more energy – Not only does a healthy gut mean a healthy everything else, but kombucha is made with tea so it still contains a small amount of caffeine in it.
- Kombucha increases your immune system – once again good gut health leads to a healthy immune system. The number one natural remedy for the cold or flu is probiotics. Especially for sick children!
- Relieves constipation
- Cures your hangover – Kombucha gives you a boost of glucose and electrolytes that help cleanse your live and feeds your dehydration.
- Cleanses your liver – Kombucha contains gluconic acid which continues to break down to caprylic acid, a potent anti-fungal and can immensely help those suffering from candida.
- Makes your skin look younger & heals eczema – Your internal health is reflected in your face. When your body is toxin-free and running in proper working order, your skin too will look beautiful. Not only can you use this internally for radiant skin, I have read numerous accounts of people using it as they would apple cider vinegar, on their skin! I have read some pretty awesome stories of it’s external healing benefits to the skin.
- Kombucha strengthens and restores the color of your hair – this, just like the skin is done both internally and externally.
GetKombucha.com makes brewing simple
With so many awesome benefits to this living fizzy beverage, I REALLY wanted to make my own kombucha, but I held off for awhile because I thought it would be difficult or time consuming. (Even though, as you will learn, it is neither of those things!) When I was approached by GetKombucha.com to do a review of their Silver Continuous Brew Kombucha Kit, I was beyond thrilled. This was my chance to get to learn how easy it really is to make my own kombucha, and to drink it more often without the high price tag. For those of you who have never heard of GetKombucha.com, they are a business that is dedicated to bringing the ease of homebrewing kombucha tea to the world. Not only can you purchase a live SCOBY from them that is already pre-packaged in the starter tea, but you can also step up your brewing process and purchase one of their continuous brewing kits that contains everything that you need to continuously brew your own kombucha tea. (For the first time homebrewer they even share a wealth of knowledge filled videos and blog posts to get you started on your homebrewing journey.)
What did I think of the GetKombucha Silver Continuous Brew Kit?
I was sold on how awesome GetKombucha was from the very first moment that I opened my box. You would think that to be able to ship a certified lead-free porcelain brewer, the box would be filled with all kinds of packing materials that are not eco-friendly, but instead GetKombucha has gone the extra mile by creating custom die cut packaging that is highly eco-friendly and is said to reduce 83% of waste! I can get behind a company that understands that their carbon footprint matters in the big scheme of things.
The BEST part of the Get Kombucha Silver Continuous Brewing Kit is that it comes with absolutely everything that I needed to get started on my journey in kombucha making. (They EVEN give you an extra set of spigots and cloths so that you can customize your brewer with the option of either white OR black!) I had thought that making my own kombucha was going to be a difficult process, but with this kit, everything was laid out for me in the simplest manner and within minutes, I had my first batch of kombucha brewing on my counter top.
Besides how easy they have proven kombucha making to be, GetKombucha has really impressed me with their vast array of kombucha making knowledge and their willingness to share that information with the rest of us. I am blown away by the passion that Dave, the company’s founder, shows for making kombucha, and his continuous need to spread the love of kombucha to the rest of the world. If you are new to making your own kombucha, there is absolutely no other place to go than getkombucha.com. You will be addicted, that much I can promise. STAY TUNED! In Homebrewing Kombucha Part 2 we will be talking about bottling and flavoring your kombucha as well as giving away a GetKombucha Silver Continuous Brew Kombucha Kit!!!
Homebrewing Kombucha(using GetKombucha.com’s Silver Continuous Brew Kombucha Kit)
YIELDS 1 GALLON
- 1 cup of kombucha starter tea & SCOBY
- 1 cup of organic cane sugar
- 4-6 tsp of GetKombucha Custom Kombucha Tea Blend (or 6 tea bags)
- Approximately 1 gallon of water
- A breathable cover (a paper towel or piece of cotton fabric) & a rubber band
- A stainless steel pot
- A 1-2 gallon brewing vessel (glass, stainless steal, or a certified lead-free porcelain brewer like the GetKombucha Silver Continuous Brewing Kit)
DIRECTIONS 1. Boil 4 cups of water, add in the tea and let it steep for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in 1 cup of sugar and add the remaining of the cold water, which should cool the tea
3. Pour your sweet tea into your brewing vessel and then gently mix in your SCOBY and starter tea (you can get this from your best friend’s last batch) then cover with cloth and secure with a rubber band.
4. Allow your kombucha to brew for 5-10 days. On day 5, take a taste of your kombucha by inserting a straw underneath the SCOBY and taking a sip. When your kombucha tastes just right to your personal pallete, strain it and bottle (or can, jar, whatever) your kombucha, saving 10% of your tea as well as your SCOBY, for your next batch. AND REPEAT as many times as you want!
STAY TUNED! In Homebrewing Kombucha Part 2 we will be talking about bottling and flavoring your kombucha as well as giving away a GetKombucha Silver Continuous Brew Kombucha Kit!!!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.