I really love to drink and use coconut milk. It’s super healthy, it smells and tastes delightful, and frankly it’s by far my favorite non-dairy milk beverage. I have tried all of the different brands and enjoy a wide array of different coconut milks. What I really wanted to taste, is fresh homemade coconut milk. I just knew it had to be better than the store bought coconut milk (isn’t everything always better homemade???).
With my busy schedule lately, working on my Etsy Shoppe, I really hadn’t thought that I had the time to also make my own coconut milk, along with the millions of other things that I already home-make. I had been putting off making my own coconut milk for FAR too long, and finally just today decided to make it myself. Boy! I couldn’t have been more wrong about it being time consuming! (I always procrastinate on new things, thinking they are going to be far more difficult than they really are.)
Coconut milk is a really great alternative to dairy milk and can be used in place of it when cooking. My favorite thing to put coconut milk in is oatmeal in the morning (ALWAYS with a ton of cinnamon and a dash of sugar). Coconut milk is jam packed with vitamins and is high in medium chain fatty acids and Lauric Acid, making it an ideal low sugar beverage for children. Not only is homemade coconut milk taste WAY better than store bought coconut milk, it’s also MUCH cheaper too! If you buy your coconut flakes from Mountain Rose Herbs (This is an affiliate link, if you purchase something from clicking this link, I get a small kick back that I use to fund this website!) in bulk, you save so much money it’s just not worth it to even buy coconut milk any more.
When I first made this recipe, I made the first round and got such great results, I was curious if I could get more for my money. I decided to try doing a second round of hot water with the same 2 cups of coconut shreds, to see if I could get even more out of it. The second batch came out great, only a tad less milky than the first round. I found that combining the two makes for a great milk and gets you twice as much milk for the same amount of coconut.
Homemade Coconut Milk the EASY Way
- 2 cups organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- 8 cups very hot (but not boiling) filtered water
- Combine all of the coconut with half (4 cups) of the water in a blender/food processor/ninja/vitamix/etc.
- Blend ingredients for 3-5 minutes, or until creamy looking.
- Strain out coconut milk, using a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer.
- Combine the same used 2 cups coconut shreds back into your blender with the last half of the water.
- Repeat steps 1-3. (the second batch may not get as thick and creamy looking as the first round, but combining them makes for a great coconut milk and you were able to get two batches from that coconut!)
- Drink immediately or store in your fridge. Drink within 3-4 days for best taste and nutrients.
- Chocolate Milk - after straining coconut out of all of the milk, add to the blender the coconut milk, 2 tsp. organic fair trade cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla Milk – 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Strawberry Milk – 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries