AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
The 4th of July is almost here and all that I can think of are burgers! I am a HUGE fan of grilling, even if it's for vegetables. Yeah, you heard me right. I LOVE TO GRILL VEGETABLES. It is NOT blasphemous, so you should quit thinking that immediately. I was a griller before I went vegetarian and I still make some of my best meals on it now as a vegetarian! Grilling things adds a whole new genre of flavor to your food. That's all there is to it.
Hummus will up your burger game
Both of these burgers taste great with my homemade hummus recipe. I love to replace the mayo/ketchup/mustard with hummus. The standard Hummus recipe tastes great on both burger recipes too. For the hummus on the Black Bean burger, I like to add a bit of cilantro and substitute the lemon juice with lime juice. It will bring out a world of flavor in the burger!
SPICY BLACK BEAN BURGER
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Anaheim or hatch chili pepper (depends on the season)
- 1 Pablano pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 lime
- 1 egg (Vegan alternative: 1 flax egg substitute)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Add all of the peppers, onion, cilantro, and garlic to a food processor or blender, and chop until minced.
- Squeeze lime over minced vegetable mixture and let it sit to soak in the lime flavor while you're mixing the egg/spices and mashed beans.
- In a small bowl whisk egg (or flax) mixture with garlic salt, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and sriracha sauce.
- In a large bowl mash black beans leaving the mixture a little bit chunky. Mix in Vegetables/lime, egg mixtures, and breadcrumbs.
- Form burger shaped patties and follow instructions below to cook them on the grill or in the oven.
- To Cook on the Grill – Cook burgers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes per side. I usually cook our burgers on a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent the hazards of sticking and/or falling apart.
- To Cook in the Oven – Preheat oven to 375F. Cook burgers in a cast iron skillet for 10-15 minutes per side.
- Serve on buns and top with your favorite burger toppings.
GRILLED PORTOBELLO BURGERS
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (de-stemmed VERY carefully)
- Italian dressing
- Marinate the portobellos in the Italian dressing for at 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grill them, bowl side up, for 10-15 minutes or until the portobello is cooked all the way through.
- Serve on a bun with some hummus, sauteed onions, spinach, and tomatoes with a side of sweet potato fries!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.