AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
This post is for women, but if you are a man and you want to learn something to help any of the women in your life, feel free to read on. I won't be going into any kind of gory details, so you can skip the horror face from reading the title! I promise!
I was scared to give up my pain relievers
There has been one area of my life, that going natural and medicine free, has been a problem. That's during the time of the month that Aunt Flo decides to come out and visit. I have Endometriosis and Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and because of this, my periods are VERY painful. I am talking the kind of pain that has me curled up in a ball in bed, wishing it would just be over with already. I was terrified to give up my use of Advil. I don't use it for anything else during the rest of the month, just for those first three days, when the pain is unbearable. Even just using it that small amount. once a month was really starting to wear on my guilty conscience.
Essential oils and herbs can help a TON to relieve the pain
While researching essential oils for school, I came across a scientific study where essential oils are being used to help alleviate the pains and symptoms women experience during menstruation. I got really excited! Could this be the answer to my problems? I decided to pick out the essential oils that I had, for the problems that I was experiencing and added them to a little bit of coconut oil. I massaged the oil combination onto my abdomen and lower back several times a day, and I felt a great deal of relief! It was AWESOME! I combined that salve with some of Cramps-B-Gone Tea, and I was able to feel so MUCH BETTER! This is my new monthly regimen to help ease all of the pain and symptoms that I end up going through, WITHOUT the use of Midol, Advil, or Tylenol.
Aunt Flo's Soothing Salve
For this recipe, I tried to pick out common symptoms that most women are feeling; pain, depression, hormonal imbalances, muscle pains, and more! This recipe makes 8 oz. of salve. I usually fill four 2 oz. containers with this recipe.
- 3/4 olive oil (I use my Muscle Mender oil)
- 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 40 drops lavender essential oil
- 25 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 25 drops clary sage essential oil
- 30 drops bergamot essential oil
- 40 drops ginger co2
- 60 drops clove bud essential oil
- In a double boiler (or a glass/pyrex measuring cup sitting inside of a pan that has about 1 inch of water in it) melt the coconut oil/olive oil along with the beeswax. When the ingredients are fully melted and combined, remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool just a tad, and then add essential oils and vitamin e (if using). Allow to cool and harden before use. This recipe makes approximately 8 oz. (or one cup). I usually pour my salves into 2 oz. flat tins.
Massage a small amount of the salve onto your abdomen, lower back, legs, and even sore breasts whenever needed!
All information on The Hippy Homemaker is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.