AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
This post is for women, but if you are a man and you want to learn something to help any of the women in your life, feel free to read on. I won't be going into any kind of gory details, so you can skip the horror face from reading the title! I promise!
I was scared to give up my pain relievers
There has been one area of my life, that going natural and medicine free, has been a problem. That's during the time of the month that Aunt Flo decides to come out and visit. I have Endometriosis and Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and because of this, my periods are VERY painful. I am talking the kind of pain that has me curled up in a ball in bed, wishing it would just be over with already. I was terrified to give up my use of Advil. I don't use it for anything else during the rest of the month, just for those first three days, when the pain is unbearable. Even just using it that small amount. once a month was really starting to wear on my guilty conscience.
Essential oils and herbs can help a TON to relieve the pain
While researching essential oils for school, I came across a scientific study where essential oils are being used to help alleviate the pains and symptoms women experience during menstruation. I got really excited! Could this be the answer to my problems? I decided to pick out the essential oils that I had, for the problems that I was experiencing and added them to a little bit of coconut oil. I massaged the oil combination onto my abdomen and lower back several times a day, and I felt a great deal of relief! It was AWESOME! I combined that salve with some of Cramps-B-Gone Tea, and I was able to feel so MUCH BETTER! This is my new monthly regimen to help ease all of the pain and symptoms that I end up going through, WITHOUT the use of Midol, Advil, or Tylenol.
Aunt Flo's Soothing Salve
For this recipe, I tried to pick out common symptoms that most women are feeling; pain, depression, hormonal imbalances, muscle pains, and more! This recipe makes 8 oz. of salve. I usually fill four 2 oz. containers with this recipe.
- 3/4 olive oil (I use my Muscle Mender oil)
- 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 40 drops lavender essential oil
- 25 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 25 drops clary sage essential oil
- 30 drops bergamot essential oil
- 40 drops ginger co2
- 60 drops clove bud essential oil
- In a double boiler (or a glass/pyrex measuring cup sitting inside of a pan that has about 1 inch of water in it) melt the coconut oil/olive oil along with the beeswax. When the ingredients are fully melted and combined, remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool just a tad, and then add essential oils and vitamin e (if using). Allow to cool and harden before use. This recipe makes approximately 8 oz. (or one cup). I usually pour my salves into 2 oz. flat tins.
Massage a small amount of the salve onto your abdomen, lower back, legs, and even sore breasts whenever needed!