AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Let's face it. Children are super picky and very sensitive to the flavors that they put into their mouth, even with toothpaste! Syfy can't stand the tingly sensations of peppermint toothpaste and would rather a fruity option when it comes to his own toothpaste, so I hunkered down and created a kid-friendly version of my easy to make natural toothpaste! It's so tasty, you might even decide to make a batch for yourself! No judgments here!
Toothpastes, toothpowders, and oilpulling oh my!
There are so many different options for oral healthcare, which is the right one for you? Today we're talking DIY natural oral healthcare and how to make your own natural toothcare products! Did you know that you could make a toothpaste easily with just a few ingredients you likely have around your house already? Tired of using the normal paste to clean your teeth? Why not try a tooth powder instead? Don't forget to rinse with my favorite alcohol-free mouthwash! For the kiddos (especially the ones who don't spit yet), I like to use an organic strawberry flavor oil instead of essential oils. The kiddo LOVES his strawberry flavored toothpaste! (see below for recipe)
Children's Homemade Strawberry Toothpaste
Syfy absolutely LOVES this toothpaste and I trust that even if he swallows it, it's safe for him to eat! With little kids, it's always good to make sure their toothpaste is made of totally edible ingredients, just in case! This toothpaste is safe for use with all ages of children and babies!
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup xylitol, finely ground (NOTE - this is toxic to pets, please keep this far away from your furry family members!)
- 20-40 drops strawberry flavor extract
- Combine coconut oil, baking soda, and xylitol using a spoon or your hand-mixer. Keep in mind, this will be a softer paste in the summer and a harder paste in the winter. If you melt the coconut oil before you make this, you will have to blend/stir the entire thing completely once it has cooled.
- Add strawberry flavor to taste. Keep in a mason jar with a lid, and dip toothbrush into toothpaste BEFORE wetting with water. (If water gets into the toothpaste it may inevitably bring bacteria with it!)
KID'S TOOTHPASTE FLAVORS
- Strawberry - 30 drops strawberry flavor extract
- Peach Mango - 20 drops mango flavor extract , 10 drops peach flavor extract
- Berry Berry - 10 drops raspberry flavor extract, 10 drops blueberry flavor extract, 10 drops strawberry flavor extract
- Tropical Delight - 20 drops pineapple flavor extract, 10 drops mango flavor extract,
- Chocolate - 30 drops dark chocolate flavor extract
- Orange Creamsicle - 20 orange flavor extract, 10 drops vanilla extract
- Watermelon - 30 drops watermelon flavor extract
- Mint - 30 drops mint flavor extract