AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Who doesn't love fried pickles? Whenever I go to any restaurant that serves them, I find myself judging the entirety of their reputation upon how delicious their fried pickles are! After my last fried pickle binge at a restaurant in downtown Dallas, I decided it was time I perfected my own fried pickle recipe and give it my own healthy plant-based spin. Not only are these fried pickles made with whole food's ingredients, but they are also air-fried, drastically reducing the fat and calories in these crispy chips of dill pickle goodness.
Air fried = less fat + fewer calories
I have been stalking this air fryer on Amazon for months now, wanting to make the switch from frying in oil to frying with convection air. It sounds like blasphemy down here in Texas to fry with anything other than oil, but oil fried foods are a lot more unhealthy and carry a lot of fat and calories! They say that air frying reduces added fat by 70%-80%! Not only that, oil fried pickles normally have roughly 170 calories while air fried pickles only have 40 calories! Who says you can't have your fried pickles and eat them too when you're on a diet?
So good you can't tell they're vegan
There is still a stigma that your favorite foods cannot possibly be delicious if they are made with plant-based ingredients, but that's really not true! These vegan fried pickles still pack the same flavor and texture punch as regular fried pickles! Don't believe me? Make up a batch and serve them to your meat-eating friends without telling them they're vegan, they'll be coming back for more!
Crispy Vegan Air Fried Pickles
- whole dill pickles, sliced or quartered
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
- avocado oil, for spraying
- Prepare your pickles by either slicing them into 1/4" slices or quartering them into spears (depending on how you want your pickles!). Be sure to pat the pickles dry.
- Prepare three dredging stations:
- Add flour to a shallow bowl
- Combine almond milk, hot sauce, and arrowroot powder in another shallow bowl.
- Using a fork, whisk together panko, cornmeal, and Cajun seasoning in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip each pickle slice (or spear), first into the flour, then into the milk mixture, and finally into the panko mixture. Set each pickle aside on a baking sheet and let them sit for a few minutes to allow the crumbs to adhere to the pickles.
- Lightly mist all of the pickles with avocado oil spray.
- Place each pickle piece into the air fryer basket and "fry" at 400°F (or your highest setting) for 7 minutes. Turn the pickles over and "fry" for another 7 minutes.
- Let pickles sit for 2 minutes before serving! Serve with non-dairy ranch dressing for a plant-based party in your mouth!