AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
What is the one thing that bath salts are missing? If you said bubbles, we're totally on the same page! A few months ago, I discovered foaming bath salts and my life was forever changed. Always curious about the ingredients in my skincare products, I started researching the ingredients to find out what they were using to make these salts bubble up so well! I am talking better than liquid bubble bath bubbles here. After learning more about this awesome foaming ingredient, I bought some for myself and proceeded to test out my recipe ideas until I got it just right! Are you ready to combine bath salts with bubble baths? It's time to get on the bubble train!
This foaming ingredient won't pop your bubble
It seems too good to be true, a plant-based surfactant that bubbles up really well and has a score of 1 (not harmful) on EWG, but in fact, Sodium Laurel Sulfoacetate (also known as SLSa) is exactly the ingredient we've been looking for! SLSa is derived from coconut and palm oils and is classified as a safe skin-friendly surfactant for both skin and hair. This mild plant-derived surfactant creates a lather that effectively removes surface oil, dirt, and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin. SLSa is becoming the standard foaming ingredient for those of us looking for "natural" products for body and hair care.
DIY Foaming Bedtime Bath Salts
SAFE FOR CHILDREN 2+ YEARS
Combine the benefits of an Epsom salt bath with the luxury of a bubble bath, ALL-IN-ONE! These relaxing foaming bath salts contain Epsom salt to relax muscles, relieve tension, and boost Magnesium while a gentle bubble bath gives the spa sensation for a good night's sleep.
- 2 cup Epsom salt (or dead sea salt)
- 1/4 cup Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (also known as SLSA)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosalina essential oil
- 6 drops sweet marjoram essential oil
- 4 drops roman chamomile essential oil
- Wearing a mask or covering your face with a washcloth to prevent inhaling the powders, gently stir together the salt, SLSA, baking soda, citric acid, and arrowroot powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the essential oils and stir the mixture until it is thoroughly mixed together.
- Either store in a mason jar for future use, or use right away for a relaxing, bubbly getaway!
For a regular-sized tub, pour 1/4- 1/2 cup foaming bath salts under running bath water. For larger garden tubs, pour 1/2-1 cup foaming bath salts under running bath water. Agitate the water with your hands as the tub is filling, to get more bubbles!