AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Before going “hippy”, one of my favorite hair products was Garnier Fructis beach waves spray to help my naturally wavy hair look like it's beachy fresh all the time. When I began transitioning to a more natural lifestyle, I was scared that I wouldn't have anything to replace my favorite hair texturizing spray. I began trying experimenting with hair nourishing ingredients and different combinations of salts until I came up with my Gidget's Ocean Waves Spray. During the summertime, my favorite scent is coconut lime. Every year I associate that scent with warm days in my bikini and water to splash around in. If there's one scent that I like to keep around all summer long, it's coconut lime! Especially in my ocean waves hair spray!
Minerals, Magnesium, Moisture, oh my!
This spray is not only fantastic at texturizing your hair, but it's also good for your hair too! Loaded with all kinds of hair healing ingredients, my ocean waves spray also:
- provides your hair and scalp with a drink in mineral magic!
- boosts your magnesium intake
- softens your hair
- helps to lock in the moisture
- balances your scalp's pH
- works as a hair spray
- tames frizz
- soothes itchy scalps
My secret ingredient to customize your hold
Not everyone is blessed with wavy or curly hair, but that doesn't mean that you can't get curls that hold! Sugar is a great addition to your Ocean Waves Spray that can help give your hair the extra hold that it might need! Adding 1 Tbsp. to this spray will give you a medium/normal hold and adding 2 Tbsps. sugar to this spray will give you a heavier hair spray hold. I have naturally wavy hair so I make my spray sans the sugar!
Add a little bit of color to your spray
One of my favorite parts about making my own hair care is customizing my products to my own hair's needs. I love adding different herbs to not only get nourishment but also color! I have been known to add all sorts of hair coloring herbs to my haircare concoctions! To enhance blonde hair, chamomile tea can be substituted in place of the water in this recipe. To enhance brunette hair, black tea or coffee can bring out the brown colors in your hair. To enhance red hair, hibiscus tea can bring out the pretty reds! If using tea instead of clean Berkey Filtered Water, be sure to store in the fridge up to a week!
Gidget's Ocean Waves Spray
- 1/2 cup filtered water + water to fill, hot
- 2 Tbsp. Epsom salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. dead sea salt (or pink Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 tsp. curling custard (or your favorite conditioner)
- 1 Tbsp. aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp vegetable glycerin
- 1-2 Tbsps. organic sugar (optional – for normal hold use 1 Tbsp., for heavy-hold use 2 Tbsp.)
- scented option (see below)
- 8 oz. spray bottle
- In an 8 oz. spray bottle combine 1/2 cup hot water, salts, curling custard, aloe, vegetable glycerin, and sugar (if using). Cover the bottle with the lid and shake until everything is mostly dissolved into the hot water. If you are using Dr. Bronner's conditioner, I find that it takes a little bit longer for the conditioner to mix in fully, don't worry it WILL mix in!
- Add the scented blend of your choice and then water to fill.
Shake well before use! Can be used on wet or dry hair. I love to spray it on my hair after I get out of the shower, when my hair is still wet. I then scrunch my curls with my fingers, up towards my scalp, and either blow dry with a diffuser or let air dry!