AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
The life of a mother includes a lot of thinking about other people, and only a little bit of thinking about ourselves. All of the work we do to keep our families healthy and happy can really take a toll on our own bodies. I myself have felt these stresses in my life, and totally understand the emotions and feelings that go along with it. While stress is a common thing in everyone's life, some have it worse than others. If you feel like it's too much, please tell someone immediately. Aromatherapy can help with those normal everyday types of stresses and anxiety, but serious cases of depression and anxiety should be dealt with in conjunction with a doctor or naturopath.
Hormones running high, I was on the edge of a meltdown
We have all been there. Hormones get the best of us, our family is not cooperating, and we're ready to throw in the towel and just sit down to have a good cry. I hear you! I get extremely emotional during Aunt Flo's monthly visit. I had realized mid mini tantrum, that I was just about to the edge, and seriously about to melt down. Looking for some relief, and a little boost of happy, I blended together some of my favorite calming and joyous essential oils. That moment in time was the day that I created one of my favorite stress and anxiety blends, Don't Worry Be Happy. After diffusing this blend and applying it diluted to my pressure points, I was really feeling better. My mood had stabilized and I was no longer feeling stressed or anxious. Now, whenever I start to feel stressed out or ready to throw in the towel, I use this blend and take a quick breather, while I mentally find my lovely smelling happy place!
There is a secret to my happiness and mental health
I am a happy person by nature, but even at my perkiest, I too can be affected by too much stress and anxiety in my own life. That is until I began my own meditation practice! It may sound crazy and like some silly wishy-washy stuff that only us hardcore hippies believe in, but I am here to tell you that there is a TON of science backing the benefits of meditation for your body, your mind, and (if you choose) your soul too! Meditation is not just for people looking to expand their consciousness or find their inner voice, it's used by professionals in all walks of life, all over the world to help increase memory, mental health, and even happiness. I have personally found this to be true in my own life and experience fewer mood swings and emotional drains because of my continuing meditation practice. New to meditation and not sure how to get started? I wrote a post awhile back that details how to meditate for anyone looking to learn!
Diet can be key to stabilizing stress and anxiety
Our bodies need a certain amount of nutrients to be able to function properly, and many of us are deficit of many of the vitamins and minerals that we need to keep our brains mentally stable! Science is now telling us of these connections between our food and mood! If you are unusually depressed or anxious, you might be experiencing a deficiency in your diet and lifestyle. Some of the most common deficiencies include:
- Magnesium - A magnesium deficiency is extremely common among the majority of the population these days. There are many parts of the body affected by this mineral, so many in fact, that I am known to prescribe a good Epsom bath no matter the ailment. Some of the most common symptoms are; depression, stress, muscle cramps, tiredness, insomnia, and even anxiety. whole grains, fish, cacao powder, and pumpkin seeds all have magnesium in them.
- Omegas - Do you take your fish oil or algae (for vegans!) daily? Did you know that your body needs both Omegas 3&6 for nearly every process to run properly in your body? Most people get a large amount of one, but not enough of the other. This can be problematic, as your body needs both to run! Omega deficiencies can present with depression, anxiety, stress, fatigue, dry skin, moods swings, and even heart problems!
Don't Worry Be Happy
Stress & Anxiety Essential Oil Blend
This blend is safe to use if you are nursing but the clary sage should be left out if you are pregnant! I love the smell of this blend, it makes a fantastic happy blend perfume too! Whenever I start feeling overly stressed, nervous, or anxious, I pull out this blend (I usually keep it on me in the roll-on form) and apply it to my body, taking in deep and even breaths.
- 70 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 30 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 50 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops roman chamomile essential oil
- 20 drops clary sage essential oil
- Combine essential oils in a 15 ml amber glass bottle. Swirl the bottle gently to mix. Label and store in a cool dark place with your other essential oils, when not using!
How to use the Don't Worry Be Happy essential oil blend
- Aromatherapy Inhaler – Aromatherapy Inhalers are perfect to keep on hand in your back pocket or purse, for whenever the need to1 take a whiff arises! The best part is you’re the only one who smells your personal inhaler, so the essential oils used will not offend anyone around you! To use, place 25-30 drops of the essential oil blend into a small glass bowl. Add the cotton pad to the bowl and roll it around (using tweezers, not bare fingers) until it’s soaked up all the essential oils. Using tweezers, remove pad and place in inhaler tube. After closing the inhaler tube, be sure to label it so that you don’t forget which blend it is! You can pull the inhaler out and take a few deep whiffs whenever you are feeling stress, anxiety, or the blues!
- Smelling Salts – This is just another way to keep a sniffer around with you on-the-go. In a 10 ml (1/3 oz.) glass bottle, add 30 drops of the essential oil blend and fill the remainder of the bottle with either fine or coarse sea salt. Waft the bottle under your nose while taking deep inhalations whenever you feel a sneeze coming on or need to catch your breath.
- Diffuser – This blend works really well in the diffuser when you are at home or in your office. Using the recommended amount of drops for your diffuser, diffuse this blend throughout the space that you are occupying. Diffuse for 30 minutes ON and 60 minutes OFF so as not to get oiled out!
- Shower Steamers – This is a really great method to use when you are at home and really need to get away to de-stress. As a mother, I understand this feeling! Sometimes it's hard to actually get away, but using this blend on shower steamers, and locking your bathroom door...even just for a minute, can really help you feel like you are leaving a spa when you are done!
- Diluted in a Roll-On Bottle – Many times, I like to keep roll-ons on hand to use topically. I add the essential oils with a carrier oil (my favorite carrier oil for roll-ons is usually fractionated coconut oil) to a
roll onbottle and then massage this onto the bottoms of the feet as well as the chest/back of neck. You can also use these like the aromatherapy inhalers and just open them up to take a whiff as well! Combine 1 Tbsp. carrier oil with 8 drops essential oil blend.