AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
With all of the information out there now about the extremely damaging effects of aluminum in our deodorants, many people are changing over from their antiperspirants to more natural deodorants.Some are willing to fork over the cash to try each of the natural brands until they find one that works for them, but others would like to make it themselves. I receive a lot of messages from your guys, asking me what my secret recipe for my Peace Pits Deodorant Paste is. It's true, it works better than any of the other natural deodorants that I have tried. Peace Pits is so effective it beats the stink ALL DAY LONG! I can totally understand why you want my recipe.
Most recipes on the internet didn't work to my liking
When I first went on the hunt to find recipes to make deodorant at home, I made a whole bunch of recipes. All of the recipes but one were just not as effective of a recipe as I was looking for. The common denominator for me was beeswax. Every recipe containing beeswax left nasty sweat stains on my white shirts didn't hold the stink at bay ALL day and didn't apply cleanly. The only DIY recipe left was the simplest of all of the recipes. It contained only 4 ingredients that I always have in my house; coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and essential oils. Simple sometimes really is the answer.
The secret is in the process
The Hippy Hubby and I used the simple version of this recipe for a little over a year before I finally decided to make it better. The difference was in adding the shea butter and a specific process in how I create the final product. The secret lies in this process. Whipping the final blend, like my whipped body butter recipe, creates an airy product that sinks in better and is much easier to apply. I don't ever make this deodorant without whipping it! It just doesn't work as well if you leave this process out!
DIY Peace Pits All-Natural Aluminum Free Deodorant Paste
The secret to my Peace Pits deodorant paste is in whipping it like a body butter! If you do not want to go the extra mile (trust me, you totally do!!!) you can just pour the melted mixture into the containers to harden and use it that way, but I find that the whipped version is much easier to apply and incorporates the powders evenly throughout the mixture! If you want to make an even easier version of this, omit the shea butter for a no-heat easy deodorant that works really well by itself! For ultra-sensitive skin, try using my baking soda free Peace Pits recipe instead!
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unrefined shea butter
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (or non-GMO cornstarch)
- essential oil blend for 4 oz. glass jar (see below)
- In a double boiler, melt the shea butter and coconut oil.
- In a separate large bowl, stir the baking soda and arrowroot powder together.
- Pour melted shea butter and coconut oil mixture into the baking soda/arrowroot powder mixture, and stir until completely combined.
- Allow the mixture to cool and harden, preferably over an ice bath for faster cooling.
- When it looks like the deodorant is half way hardened, meaning there is still a small pool of liquid on top, remove from the ice bath (if using), and take out your electric hand mixer or emulsion blender.
- Blend the mixture until there are no chunks of hardened deodorant left. This can not be done by hand. I usually take a spoon and chip away the bottom pieces first to make it easier to blend in the final result.
- If you blended the deodorant too soon and it’s still not solid enough to pour into your containers, put the bowl of deodorant onto the ice bath for a minute or two more then blend with it there in the ice bath.
Deodorant Essential Oil Blends
These blends are made for 4 oz (or 1/2 cup) of Peace Pits all-natural deodorant paste! I like to use