AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Summer has been flying by and I have been trying my best to balance my work and our summertime play. I haven't been doing a great job working this summer. There's too much fun to be had during the summertime! I don't feel guilty though because I worked my butt off during the Spring to write my newest book; The Complete Book of Essential Oils for Mama & Baby – Safe and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy, Birth, and Children.
Learn to care for yourself and your baby with the natural healing power of essential oils.
All expecting and experienced moms know that finding safe remedies to treat the needs of you and your little one is easier said than done. Whether it’s morning sickness, anxiety, or a simple case of the sniffles, essential oils are an affordable and all-natural alternative to alleviate aches and pains. The Complete Book of Essential Oils for Mama and Baby is your comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of how, when, and why to blend essential oils for any age or stage of motherhood.
Highlights of The Complete Book of Essential Oils for Mama and Baby include:
- Non-Brand Specific Recipes: choose your own favorite brand of essential oils to use with these simple and adaptable recipes
- Drop Recommendations By Age: essential oil drop recommendations for ages 3–6 months, 6–24 months, 2–6 years, and 6+ years
- 200 Safe and Effective Treatments: for common ailments during pregnancy, delivery, postpartum, and beyond
- Herbal Healing 101: detailed profiles of 30 versatile plants for comprehensive understanding of the medicinal properties, common uses, and precautions for each
The Complete Book of Essential Oils for Mama and Baby brings you remedies for: Breast Tenderness, Morning Sickness, Diaper Rash, Cradle Cap, and more.
Combining her experience as a mom with her training from The Herbal Academy and the Heart of Herbs Herbal School, Christina Anthis shows you how to use essential oils for a happy and healthy home.
Peppermint essential oil should be avoided for children under 6 years
One of the most important features of my new book is safety! I have created recipes that are safe for use on pregnant women, babies, and children. I utilized information from the foremost essential oil safety experts including my favorite author and aromatherapist, Robert Tisserand! According to Tisserand, in his book Essential Oil Safety: A Guide For Healthcare Professionals (2nd edition), the use of peppermint essential oil should be avoided on children younger than 6 years old. Peppermint hydrosol, however, is a much gentler option that can be safely used on babies and children and is used in my kid-safe version of my Soothing After Sun Spray below!
Kid-Safe Soothing After Sun Spray
MAKES ABOUT 8 OUNCES
|INGREDIENTS||3-6 mo.||6-24 mo.||2-6 yr.||6+ yr.|
|Peppermint hydrosol||1/4 cup + |
|1/4 cup + |
|1/4 cup + |
|1/4 cup + |
|Aloe vera gel||1/4 cup||1/4 cup||1/4 cup||1/4 cup|
|Raw apple cider vinegar||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp.|
|German chamomile essential oil||2 drops||3 drops||5 drops||5 drops|
|Lavender essential oil||4 drops||7 drops||10 drops||10 drops|
|Filtered water||to fill||to fill||to fill||to fill|
- Add the peppermint hydrosol, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, and the German chamomile and lavender essential oils to an 8-ounce spray bottle.
- Add enough filtered water to fi ll, and gently swirl to combine.
- Shake well before use. Spray onto burns as often as needed for pain relief, or at least once daily to help heal the burn faster. Once the skin is cooled from the initial burn, follow up with a healing burn salve to keep the skin moisturized while it heals.
- Keep in the refrigerator for extra cooling and a longer shelf life (6 to 9 months).
HELPFUL HINT – This spray can help on burns in the kitchen, too. I like to keep this spray in my refrigerator when not in use because the cool temperature is very soothing on fresh burns and can help relieve some of the pain. Remember to shake well before use.