AFFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging and social media activities, I may receive monetary compensation for links to products from this post. However, I only recommend products that I personally love and use myself!.
Many desserts call for sweetened condensed milk, but for someone who lives a dairy-free lifestyle, what's a good substitute? You might not realize it, but it's extremely easy to make sweetened condensed milk yourself, and even easier to make it with ingredients that fit into your diet!
In an effort to healthify my sweet tooth cravings...
I started making everything I needed by hand and substituting ingredients with healthier alternatives. Sweetened condensed milk was one of the ingredients that I felt like it had alluded me until I realized I could use full-fat canned coconut milk in place of the dairy milk and sweeten it with my favorite healthier sweeteners like maple syrup, raw unfiltered honey, or coconut sugar. This recipe is extremely versatile and much healthier than the traditional canned sweetened condensed milk.
Vegan Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
MAKES 12 OUNCES
- (1) 13.4 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sweetener of choice (coconut sugar, maple syrup, raw unfiltered honey, etc.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk over medium-high heat, whisking frequently to keep it from burning or boiling over.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and whisk in your sweetener of choice, until dissolved.
- Allow the sweetened coconut milk to simmer for 30-45 minutes until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before using in all your favorite dairy-free dessert recipes!
- This sweetened condensed coconut milk will last for up to a week stored in the fridge.